[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43738: Make the GDPR Export/Delete functionality available in network-wide for super admins

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 23 22:38:50 UTC 2018

#43738: Make the GDPR Export/Delete functionality available in network-wide for
super admins
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  TZ Media     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by jeremyfelt):

 I had a chance to dive into #43546 to get a better grasp on what's
 included with a default single site level export and am starting to form
 some ideas around how I think a network level export could work.

 From above, exporting (or removing) user data at the network level
 should/could:

 > * Search across the network for the user's ID and/or email
 > * For each site that contains data from that user, run the single site
 functions for export/anonymization/erasure, and if for export, compile it
 all into one file (or multiple, if its a huge amount of data?)
 > * This would perhaps all happen asynchronously via Ajax/REST requests,
 since it would potentially involve a lot of big expensive queries

 I think one way this could happen is:

 1. Network administrator initiates a user export, which schedules a cron
 event on the main site.
 2. The cron event on the main site loops through all sites on the network
 and schedules site level events to build user data for export.
 3. A main site cron event checks the status of these regularly through
 `switch_to_blog()` or something similar and receives one of 4 responses -
 (1) Process not started, (2) Process started, not complete, (3) Process
 complete, no data available, (4) Process complete, data available.
 4. When all processes are complete, the full export can be built on the
 main site and provided for download.

 Very happy to hear other thoughts on that approach and other
 possibilities! :)

 With a process like that, it seems unrealistic that a full network level
 export can be ready for 4.9.6 and that for now we should rely on manually
 compiling site level exports.

 Note that `wp_blogmeta` landed for 5.0 in #37923 and may help quite a bit
 with tracking export status on individual sites.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43738#comment:11>