[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40825: Re-addressing validation/sanitization of IDs to allow filtering before WP_Post (and others) database query

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 22 00:12:42 UTC 2017

#40825: Re-addressing validation/sanitization of IDs to allow filtering before
WP_Post (and others) database query
 Reporter:  LindsayBSC         |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 I've chatted a bit about this to @LindsayBSC in Slack.

 A unified approach to object ID validation appeals to me a great deal.
 There has been a lot of discussion about integers, BIG INTs and
 PHP_INT_MAX recently that highlights the need for something consistent
 that works across the board.

 I have hit situation where certain post types are hosted remotely with
 non-numeric IDs, so can see a use case for the filter. I have significant
 concerns about the security implications here as it would only take a
 small typo to create big problems. Core would need to defend against this.
 I'd like to see some thought into this defence.

 tl;dr: +1 on a validation function, in two minds about including the
 filter.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/40825#comment:3>