[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40681: The "Edit Post" page appears to MOVE a category to the top based on bad logic, instead of leaving it under its parent.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 6 03:30:12 UTC 2017

#40681: The "Edit Post" page appears to MOVE a category to the top based on bad
logic, instead of leaving it under its parent.
 Reporter:  DScotese      |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  4.7.4
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, template  |
 I recommend updating this page so that you have a more concise list of
 these questions, just to cut down on the size of the descriptions we
 submit to you (from those who simply copy/paste them, like me):

     Are you using either the latest version of WordPress, or the latest
 development version? If not, please update first.

 I understand that our installation keeps itself up to date.

     What steps should be taken to consistently reproduce the problem?

 1. Create a Top level category.
 2. Create a category under it.
 3. Create a new post in the child.
 4. Observe that after saving the new post, the child category is displayed
 at the top of the category list.

     Does the problem occur even when you deactivate all plugins and use
 the default theme?

 We don't have a test version of the site yet, and we don't want to disturb
 visitors on the site, so we have not yet tested this with any of the
 following disabled:
 Disqus Comment System; MailChimp for WordPress; Recent Posts Widget
 Extended; Swifty Image Widget by WPGens; Yoast SEO

     In case it's relevant to the ticket, what is the expected output or
 result? What did you see instead?

 Good point.  I expected the list to leave the category in the list under
 the parent category.  It does seem smart to move it to the top, but if you
 do that, I suggest that since it's a child category, it still be indented
 - at least once - maybe with a circled question-mark tooltip explaining
 that the indentation only means "This category has a parent category that
 can be found below."