[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40289: Uploading 2 files with the same name but different casing, overwrites existing files

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 28 22:23:48 UTC 2017

#40289: Uploading 2 files with the same name but different casing, overwrites
existing files
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  quickim         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Media           |    Version:  4.7.3
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
 Problem: Under normal circumstances, if I upload a file to the media
 library but a file with a similar name was previously uploaded, wordpress
 would change the name of the new file (by adding a dash and a number).
 However, If I upload 2 files with the same name, BUT WITH DIFFERENT
 CAPITALIZATION, wordpress won't rename the second file and will just
 reference the older one.
 So if for example, I already had the file cover.jpg in my library and I've
 created a new post and uploaded the file COVER.JPG, it will show in the
 post the older image of (cover.jpg).