[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #40259: The envelope-from address is being explicitly unset/set to nothing (or phpmailer is too far out of date)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 25 11:58:31 UTC 2017

#40259: The envelope-from address is being explicitly unset/set to nothing (or
phpmailer is too far out of date)
 Reporter:  lilmike       |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Mail          |    Version:  4.6
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hi,
 First a little background: My mail system (postfix, running on arch
 linux), is set to send mails from certain domains through an email
 deliverability service. However, when WordPress sends an email from any
 domain, it tries to go through that provider, even if the domain was not
 set up (either with postfix or the mail provider). A little digging showed
 that the envelope-from address was "http", or the user php is running as.
 This caused postfix to add the myohstname parameter to the username,
 getting http@<myserverdomain>. It just so happened that postfix was set up
 to send email from anything@<myserverdomain> through this email
 deliverability service, so I don't get important server notices stuck in
 junk (or worse, limbo). Per an issue raised on php mailer's github
 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/issues/995), the problem seems to
 be with WordPress -- the default behavior of php mailer is to set the
 envelope-from address to the from: address (if not provided). So somehow
 WordPress is overriding this behavior, or using a too out-of-date version.
 -Michael.