[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open it automatically

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Mar 19 00:13:12 UTC 2017

#37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open
it automatically
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  melchoyce                    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by westonruter):

 @celloexpressions my concern is that this is a backwards-incompatible
 change. For example, in the Customize Posts plugin there is a panel for
 each post type. The panel has a custom header area which adds a Select2
 dropdown for selecting a page to edit. If you have a page in the preview,
 there will be one section added automatically in that panel for the
 controls for manipulating that page's settings. If
 `auto_expand_sole_section` is enabled by default, then the panel could not
 be navigated to in this case. So I think it should be an opt-in param that
 we enable specifically for widgets. Themes and plugins can also opt-in for
 it, and for the sake of back-compat with existing expected behavior, I
 think it should be opt-in.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37471#comment:15>