[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30741: Build-out API for adding Customizer Panels, Sections, and Controls entirely with JS

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 18 21:27:18 UTC 2017

#30741: Build-out API for adding Customizer Panels, Sections, and Controls entirely
with JS
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  celloexpressions  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:  needs-patch close => needs-patch
 * milestone:  Future Release => 4.8

Comment:

 The other tickets were prerequisites, but there remain gaps in the API
 here.

 It's been quite a while since this was looked at holistically, so I think
 the next step is to identify where there are specific holes in the API. It
 should be possible to create all four object types (and maybe also
 partials eventually?) directly in JS by associating with a particular
 object type as registered and defined in PHP. [comment:2] theoretically
 outlines how the PHP corresponds to this, but we need to make sure the
 object container and content representations make sense and align with how
 JS-side addition works.

 > The specific thing I want to use this ticket for is to add functions for
 rendering control containers, and to make sure we aren't missing any
 pieces to make this a seamless experience for developers.

 I think this still applies here - workarounds are typically required to
 add controls, where the API should make it a more seamless process. We
 also need to better align the container/content concepts in panels and
 controls, and decide whether this should also exist for sections.

 Once the current state of the API is evaluated (ideally by someone who
 doesn't work with it regularly and isn't familiar with workarounds where
 things are possible but not as easy as they should be), we can decide what
 the specific path forward is for improving and finalizing this part of the
 API.

 I'm moving this to 4.8 as it's important to finalize this API as we move
 toward instantiating the customizer dynamically with JS on the frontend -
 this API will be used for all controls and the roles of the PHP and JS
 side APIs in this process needs to be refined.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30741#comment:22>