[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open it automatically

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Mar 11 05:42:44 UTC 2017

#37471: Customizer: Widgets: If your theme only has one widget area, we should open
it automatically
---------------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  melchoyce                  |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  enhancement                |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by westonruter):

 There's one additional scenario that this needs to accommodate, and that
 is what happens when a widget area section is deactivated due to the
 previewed template not doing `dynamic_sidebar()`. In that case, the panel
 actually still needs to be accessible so that the message can be displayed
 about there not being any widget areas that are displayed in the preview.
 I think the patch on this ticket actually is handling it properly, however
 it is difficult to test because of another bug: #39430.

 What I'd want to happen is when a theme only has one widget area
 registered and this widget area is displayed in the preview, clicking on
 the Widgets panel should result in auto-expanding the widget area section
 as well. If I then click to a URL that does not have the sidebar rendered,
 I then expect that section to collapse and for me to be dropped onto the
 Widgets panel. In the same way, if I am at the root of the customizer UI
 and I am previewing a template that lacks the rendered sidebar, clicking
 the Widgets panel should just expand the panel and show the notice. Once
 navigating to a URL in the preview that has a rendered sidebar, either the
 section can just be revealed in the panel allowing me to click it to
 expand it, or the section can then auto-expand.

 In any case, to test this properly we need to wait for #39430 to land.

 /cc @dlh

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37471#comment:11>