[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39984: wp_insert_term can return wrong ID when multiple existing terms are found with the same name but differnet parent

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 3 02:31:31 UTC 2017

#39984: wp_insert_term can return wrong ID when multiple existing terms are found
with the same name but differnet parent
 Reporter:  mikejolley                           |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |  boonebgorges
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * owner:   => boonebgorges
 * status:  new => accepted
 * version:  trunk => 4.2

Comment:

 Thanks, @mikejolley.

 > I think it's important we allow multiple terms with same names under
 different parents.

 Yes, WP has always allowed this. This particular weird bug was introduced
 as part of a refactor in support of multibyte slugs. See
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/31328#comment:9 and follow-up
 conversation, especially [31792]. (Prior to WP 4.2, this specific kind of
 bug didn't occur because we used `term_exists()` instead of `get_term_by(
 'name' )`; `term_exists()` would fall back on a slug check.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39984#comment:4>