[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 20 17:46:48 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots has-user-testing has-  |  javascript
  ux-feedback                        |

Comment (by melchoyce):

 @celloexpressions: I think a good middle-ground would be to maintain the
 feature as a branch of core on GitHub. That would allow us a greater
 degree of flexibility to experiment, explore, and break down updates into
 smaller bits via issues and PRs. This ticket is already quite long and
 unwieldy. Being able to break up the feature in a centralized GitHub repo
 would make collaboration much easier, IMO. We'd get many of the benefits
 of a feature plugin, while still being able to keep the branch refreshed
 with core updates.

 To ship this, we'd end up devoting lots of attention and make compromises.
 Our current focus is to get in short-term wins, and we need all the
 attention we can get to refine and improve the customizer experience to
 support those quicker wins.

 Working on it via a branch, versus directly in core itself, also allows a
 greater amount of nimbleness to proactively react to any sort of design
 framework changes the Customizer starts to go through starting around
 June.

 @folletto how does this sound to you? I think it would give you more
 freedom to explore a better design that works within the parameters of the
 API you've been researching.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:150>