[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21492: Theme customizer > Static front page: missing error message when front page and posts pages are similar

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 19 06:12:49 UTC 2017

#21492: Theme customizer > Static front page: missing error message when front page
and posts pages are similar
-----------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  hd-J                   |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)           |      Status:  new
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:  has-patch => has-patch ux-feedback

Comment:

 @MatheusGimenez it looks like you didn't include `customizer-static-
 front.js` in your patch. Hard to tell exactly what the behavior is from
 the video, but it looks like a user is able to momentarily select the same
 pages and then after a short delay the duplicated setting is cleared out
 and the `option` is made `disabled` so that it cannot be re-selected? This
 causes an extra refresh and it may make the user confused as to why the
 error message just went away on its own.

 If we want to still allow a user to select an identical page for posts as
 the page on front (for parity with admin screen), we can still allow this
 and make use of the JS notifications API by adding a `warning`
 notification instead of an `error` notification. See
 [https://github.com/xwp/wp-customize-loopconf-workshop-advanced-
 examples/blob/27b128641cdde9c4a8ddc7c366f00e9fef304275/pane.js#L144-L156
 example]. As such there wouldn't be any server-side component at all. I
 know I suggested above the whole disabling of the option and to use
 server-side validation to block the user from being able to save, but
 perhaps in the end a modern iteration on @ocean90's original
 JS notifications API.

 @karmatosed thoughts on the UX? Should we still allow the user to select
 the same page for posts ad page on front, even when we warn them not to?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21492#comment:21>