[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33148: Categories are missing in admin category list when child category linked to non-existant parent id

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 17 19:22:42 UTC 2017

#33148: Categories are missing in admin category list when child category linked to
non-existant parent id
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  ShawnLunny               |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new
Changes (by boonebgorges):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch ux-feedback
 * type:  defect (bug) => enhancement
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => Future Release

Comment:

 I guess I'm not totally opposed to making a change in the way we display
 terms in the admin in order to account for this sort of data-integrity
 issue, as long as the changes are fairly lightweight and targeted. Showing
 orphaned terms but highlighting them in red seems like a good first step.
 It's probably also a good idea to show them only to users who have the
 taxonomy's `edit_terms` cap, since only these users will be able to fix
 the problem. We should only be doing this in the admin list table, so a
 modification like what's suggested in [attachment:taxonomy.diff] is
 probably too broad.

 We definitely should *not* do any automatic modification of content in the
 database. When a term is orphaned, there are multiple ways to "solve" the
 the problem, and WP can't know which one the admin wants.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/33148#comment:8>