[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 15 05:54:40 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  celloexpressions
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  assigned
  screenshots has-user-testing has-  |  javascript
  ux-feedback                        |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 That strategy works for me. I've added fixes for #38626 and #38666 (see
 screencast uploaded to that ticket) to the GitHub PR. I also quickly
 tested:
 - Switching between installed themes.
 - Installing a theme update (in and out of the details modal).
 - Deleting an installed theme.
 - Browsing themes in the different filters.
 - Install & Preview inside and outside the details modal, Install in the
 modal.
 - Keyboard accessibility.

 Would be good to get a couple more eyes on this to check for any other
 major issues before re-committing. It's important to remember, though,
 that this is a fairly polished iteration of a design that can be
 considered temporary, and likely to change once improvements are
 researched for the overall theme browsing experience. The next step is to
 re-imagine the process of finding a theme, potentially make related
 adjustments to .org, and then bring those changes back to a revised UI for
 browsing themes in core.

 I think the GH fork is now commit-ready. The primary reasons for getting
 this first pass back into core are:
 - Testing - we can now put out a call for testing on make/design and all
 that's needed to test is installing the beta tester plugin.
 - Infrastructure - with the structure for theme controls/sections/panels,
 shiny installation, etc. in place, we can iterate on the UI fairly easily.
 - Functional enhancements such as shiny theme uploads can be worked on
 iteratively instead of waiting for the whole project.
 - Whether the UI stays similar to what was in 4.7 beta 1 or changes
 entirely, getting something into trunk puts us in a great position to
 rethink the theme ''browsing'' experience more broadly over the next
 couple of months in a new ticket/project.
 - With themes built into the customization API, there are numerous
 opportunities to explore new site setup and customization flows, and
 themes' roles in them in the second part of this year.

 For reference, the following tickets will be `fixed` by committing the
 GitHub PR to trunk: #37661, #38365, #38663, #38626, #38666, and #34843.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:148>