[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39874: Apostrophe cannot stay put, always replaced for a left single quotation mark.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 14 21:04:59 UTC 2017

#39874: Apostrophe cannot stay put, always replaced for a left single quotation
mark.
 Reporter:  ABTOP         |       Owner:

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [comment:5 ABTOP]:
 > But think for a second about the value of a feature of it takes a plugin
 to get rid of it. Eh?

 I'd prefer having correct typography out of the box (which is what
 `wptexturize()` generally does, except for a few edge cases), and
 installing a plugin to work around those edge cases, if needed.

 If `wptexturize()` was disabled by default, having to install a plugin on
 all of my sites just to format typographical symbols correctly seems less
 than ideal. Of course, one could always enter the correct quotes, dashes,
 etc. manually, but it requires a strong habit and distracts from actual
 writing.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39874#comment:6>