[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 8 15:56:10 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reopened
  screenshots needs-testing has-     |  javascript
  user-testing has-ux-feedback       |
  commit                             |

Comment (by folletto):

 I did some research and testing, and I discovered that even if neither
 .org nor Core (wp-admin and customizer) use the capability, the API is
 already able of the basics of what we described above as blockers. The
 source is just using `WP_Query`, so it's fairly flexible even only a few
 things are exposed.

 Namely we can query at the same time:

 1. Text string
 2. Feature tags
 3. Author
 4. Sort order (limited to the existing types: none, popular, featured,
 updated, new)

 I also updated the
 [https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress.org_API#List_of_Themes Theme List
 1.1 API documentation] to reflect these details.

 Parameters seems possible to be passed both as GET or POST, so if you want
 to give it a try just play with this query:

 {{{
 api.wordpress.org/themes/info/1.1/?action=query_themes&request[tag
 ]=sticky-post&request[tag]=two-
 columns&request[search]=food&request[page]=2
 }}}

 This means that we are not limited by the API as previously assumed, and
 we can proceed exploring alternative UIs with more flexibility before
 proceeding with implementation. I think this opens up a good range of
 possibilities.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:145>