[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page is set to "Your Latest Posts"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 3 00:13:50 UTC 2017

#39740: Twenty Seventeen: Allow child themes to use front-page.php when front page
is set to "Your Latest Posts"
---------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  johnnyb        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by davidakennedy):

 Thanks for the report @johnnyb! And thanks for the context @sami.keijonen
 – you're exactly right. That was done to be nicer for users in terms of
 site setup. That said, I can see why child themes would expect the default
 behavior. :)

 @johnnyb What is your use case? Why does your child theme of Twenty
 Seventeen want to use `font-page.php` for the posts page if set as front?
 It will work loosely, but there will be some issues with featured images.

 I'm open to fixing this, and making it better so long as we don't break
 existing sites. We probably just can't turn it off for all child themes
 because they could want the existing functionality. That leads me to want
 to leave it as is, and let child themes turn off Twenty Seventeen's
 changes if need be. But again, open to ideas and suggestions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39740#comment:4>