[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #38426: Twenty Seventeen: Improve user and developer experience with the customizer integration

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 26 16:56:40 UTC 2016

#38426: Twenty Seventeen: Improve user and developer experience with the customizer
integration
 Reporter:  celloexpressions                     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
  testing ui-feedback ux-feedback                |

Comment (by davidakennedy):

 Replying to [comment:13 celloexpressions]:

 Thanks again for your thoughts here. As I've said a few times in this
 ticket, and in post conversations on the GitHub repository for the theme,
 I'm against bringing these options to the top-level of the Customizer. In
 most everything else I've been very open to change and iteration.

 The best practice issues you mention reference documentation.
 Documentation, like the whole of WordPress, is subject to change. It
 shouldn't be something that becomes an inflexible.

 The organization of the theme's panels will remain as it is now unless we
 have significant user feedback during beta to prompt a change.

 Twenty Seventeen is trying to do something that users want and themers do
 every day with WordPress. Build a complex home page. Most default themes
 haven't attempted this because there have been many answers, and no
 support from WordPress core. Twenty Seventeen's answer isn't the best. But
 I hope it will spur a conversation that will lead to improvements in core
 and beyond to help users build and customize the sites they want easier.
 Moving the options to the top-level of the Customizer won't get us any
 closer on that. Right now, you and I are wasting time on the wrong
 conversation. Tickets like #37974 start the conversation from a better
 place to impact more users.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/38426#comment:15>