[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #36370: Attachments and Attachment pages from a password protected parent page can be see publicly

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 29 14:54:36 UTC 2016

#36370: Attachments and Attachment pages from a password protected parent page can
be see publicly
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  ticktockphoto  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  General        |    Version:  4.4.2
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                 |
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 I have a gallery setup behind a password for clients, but have noticed
 that images from this wordpress gallery(created using wordpress, not a
 plugin) can be seen publicly if you know the URL to an images attachment
 page, which does not require a password to view the  posts images.

 Example: Password protected page is hxxps://www.ticktock.photo/aiden-
 joseph-leto-1-month-pictures/ which asks for the password to view its
 contents, while hxxps://www.ticktock.photo/aiden-joseph-leto-1-month-
 pictures/dsc_3831032316/ is a child attachment page of the password
 protected parent, and can be seen without a password.

 Not sure if this is how wordpress is supposed to work, or a possible bug,
 but in my thinking, any content from the post, including attachments
 should fall under the parent pages settings and not be viewable if the
 parent page is password protected.