[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the latest comments

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jul 31 13:44:22 UTC 2016

#29462: comment pagination in reverse order should display a full number of the
latest comments
 Reporter:  mark-k        |       Owner:  obenland
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by FolioVision):

 Replying to [comment:17 boonebgorges]:
 > The fact that content changes is exactly the problem. If I leave a blog
 comment, I should be able to use the permalink of that comment to refer
 back to that comment at any time: through a link on my own site, through a
 link I send someone in an email, through a browser bookmark, etc.

 In this case, as the original feature is hopelessly broken by design,
 adding some fresh code to handle comment permalinks and pagination is just
 sensible. No one can or would use the current comment permalinks.

 @obenland

 It is relatively trivial to write a redirection routine to make sure that
 the old links continue to work. We've done a lot of work on the
 Redirection Plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/ over the
 years and would be happy to help contribute some redirection code to
 handle the legacy comment links once a new working comment structure has
 been written.

 A bigger issue for me than handling redirection of legacy links is hashing
 out new comment code and structure which can stand the test of time and
 not leave us hobbled in three years like the current code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29462#comment:22>