[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35832: Paste action in text field/area context menu in theme customizer leaves Save&Publish button disabled (Firefox)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 21 12:43:43 UTC 2016

#35832: Paste action in text field/area context menu in theme customizer leaves
Save&Publish button disabled (Firefox)
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  xkr47         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by afercia):

 About IE 8 I wouldn't be so worried if pasting doesn't work. Worth noting,
 as far as I see, the "Save" button in IE 8 is always "Save & Publish" and
 never gets disabled?

 It's always a developer's choice, but I think the point raised up on
 #26600 by @azaozz and I was to try to ''reduce'' the number of attached
 events. Personally, I'd lean towards keeping it simple and just use input
 and keyup.

 The current situation in core is a bit inconsistent :) There are places
 where only `input` is used, thus leaving IE 8 in the dark. In other places
 both `input` and `keyup` are used, or even `input`, `keyup` and `change`
 together. In some places, for `<input>`s of type="search", the non-
 standard `search` is used in addition to the 3 ones mentioned before.
 There are also a couple of places where feature detection is used to
 attach just one event, see for example in
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/wp-admin/js/user-
 profile.js?rev=35870&marks=24,25,26,27,28#L19 user-profile.js] and
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/wp-admin/js/nav-
 menu.js?rev=36510&marks=879,880,881,882,883#L865 nav-menu.js]

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35832#comment:5>