[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35833: Adding a table with the "widefat" class on post and taxonomy list table screens causes the quick edit UI and bulk edit to fail

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Feb 21 06:46:22 UTC 2016

#35833: Adding a table with the "widefat" class on post and taxonomy list table
screens causes the quick edit UI and bulk edit to fail
---------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Braad                      |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)               |      Status:  new

Comment (by Braad):

 After digging a bit deeper I discovered that the `table.widefat` and
 `.widefat` selectors were also being used on taxonomy edit screens in /wp-
 admin/js/inline-edit-tax.js, and the issue with the quick edit UI was also
 happening there.

 I also discovered that on the posts list table screens the bulk edit was
 broken (checking box for one or more posts, setting "bulk edit actions"
 dropdown to "edit" and clicking apply does nothing) in addition to the
 issue with the quick edit UI happening.

 All of these issues happen when there is a second table with the class
 "widefat" anywhere on the post and taxonomy list table screens, not just
 in the Help tabs.

 I've uploaded a screenshot of the quick edit issue happening on taxonomy
 edit screens, and I've uploaded test-35833.php as a quick test plugin you
 can activate to see the issue happening (activate and try to use the quick
 edit on posts, pages, categories, or tags to see the issue).

 I'm also uploading a second patch that fixes a typo in the first patch,
 switches to consistently using `table.wp-list-table` as the selector
 (getting away from selecting by `.widefat` completely), and updates
 inline-edit-tax.js also, solving this problem for both post and taxonomy
 list table screens.

 Looking at similar tickets it doesn't seem that people are submitting
 minified versions of JS files in patches, so I think this new patch has
 everything it needs. I did grab the develop branch and get the grunt tasks
 working and all qunit tests still pass.

 If there is anything else this patch needs, please let me know. I'm happy
 to keep working on it. This would be my first core contribution if it gets
 merged, and I'm ready to do any necessary to take it over the finish line
 :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35833#comment:6>