[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation / switching

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 20 14:50:03 UTC 2016

#27177: Child themes should inherit parent theme customizer settings on activation
/ switching
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  krogsgard    |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by shirtsandsigns):

 I agree that this issue comes up mainly when changing to a Child theme
 after investing some time into customizing a theme and then realizing that
 direct css styling needs to be altered.

 I also agree that in some cases the proposed solutions may cause
 unintended side effects by overwriting parent theme customizations when
 that isn't the desired result.

 Here is my proposed solution: Add an "Import Parent Theme Customizations"
 section under the customizer.

 This way, if a child theme is loaded it has the option to import any
 parent theme customizations that may have been made already, but it isn't
 forced to do so.

 Additionally, add a message to the top of the page when a child theme is
 first activated calling attention to this option with a link to this
 customizer section.  This way people are likely to immediately import the
 settings, and don't have to go through the anxiety of realizing their
 entire site has just lost its entire look and feel by accident.

 Some of the other proposed solutions could still be implemented just fine
 for theme authors who want to support automatic behavior, but this would
 alleviate the common problem that I've come across myself as well where a
 child theme isn't considered until well after the fact.

 Thank you for your time

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/27177#comment:19>