[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35698: Distinguish between regular (site) options and network options in `sanitize_option()`

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 2 21:23:42 UTC 2016

#35698: Distinguish between regular (site) options and network options in
`sanitize_option()`
-------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by flixos90):

 Replying to [comment:2 jeremyfelt]:
 > Yeah, we'll need to leave the site filter there. If anyone is filtering
 that, hopefully they're also being smart about whether the option is site
 or network in scope.

 In that case maybe we could even add another new filter for site options
 that is only run for a regular option. Probably a lot of the filters that
 are attached to `sanitize_option_{$option}` are registered automatically
 by `register_setting()` - so maybe we could add a
 `sanitize_site_option_{$option}` filter, and then in `register_setting()`
 apply the callback to that new filter instead of the current one. This
 should reduce the probability of conflicts drastically.
 It would also mean that the `sanitize_option_{$option}` would solely exist
 for the purpose of back compat, since we would replace it with the new
 filter in all areas of WordPress Core.

 I'm not sure about the naming conventions however, since, although it is
 technically a site option, we always call those simply "option", and if
 the filter uses "site_option", it might add to the already existing
 confusion with blog - site - network. Still, I suppose functionality goes
 over weird naming, so I think it would be a good idea to add this other
 filter as well.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35698#comment:4>