[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39230: esc_url test if target url is available in https and dynamically updates the scheme.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Dec 11 01:20:16 UTC 2016

#39230: esc_url test if target url is available in https and dynamically updates
the scheme.
-----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  marksabbath      |       Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by dd32):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Welcome to Trac @marksabbath

 Performing a remote HTTP request on every call to `esc_url()` without a
 scheme present isn't a performance option we'd ever go with in WordPress -
 you have to consider that a request could be triggered multiple times on
 every pageload.

 `http` is the default lowest-common-denominator scheme which can be
 assumed here though, so it makes sense as-is to me. This branch is really
 only there for the case where it's not present - but realistic, it should
 already be present in the URL, whatever code is passing without a scheme
 parameter should probably be setting that upon save validation or some
 such IMHO.

 I'm closing this as wontfix, simply due to the performance concerns

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39230#comment:1>