[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39028: Comments on private posts or specific edge cases can get a confusting white screen error.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 2 14:29:02 UTC 2016

#39028: Comments on private posts or specific edge cases can get a confusting white
screen error.
 Reporter:  imath         |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments      |    Version:  4.4
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I have a plugin that uses the private status for a custom post type used
 in private BuddyPress groups.

 When a group member tries to comment on one of the post type he's getting
 a white screen. I've fixed the issue on my side, problem was about caps
 mapping.

 But still, i was pretty confused by this behavior. At first i thought it
 was a fatal error, but xdebug returned nothing, so i've looked in my
 error.log again nothing ??

 Then i've found some returned WP_Error was missing data like the 403
 status in `wp_handle_comment_submission()`. As this function was
 introduced in 4.4, i guess it first appeared in 4.4.

 I think it could be interesting to have a screen looking like this in this
 kind of cases :

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/ymyxLMacts.png)]]

 I suggest the attached patch.