[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #13522: Add 'description' setting for thumbnails/featured image and show that text in metabox

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 18 12:19:33 UTC 2016

#13522: Add 'description' setting for thumbnails/featured image and show that text
in metabox
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jeremyclarke             |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new

Comment (by flixos90):

 Replying to [comment:3 DrewAPicture]:
 > That said, this seems quite edge-case, as, unlike sidebars, there's only
 one featured image metabox. Also, it's currently possible to simply inject
 your own description by prepending content via the
 `admin_post_thumbnail_html` filter added in 2.9.

 I agree that having this filter should be sufficient for this cause. A
 custom description inside the Featured Image metabox could easily bloat up
 the metabox, so I don't think we should encourage it by adding an
 additional parameter to `set_post_thumbnail_size()` or by doing something
 like `add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails-description' )` (any theme
 author can still use the above filter if they wanted to add a descriptive
 text).

 However, we might think about inserting an additional paragraph into the
 "Help" tab of the post editor (only for post types with featured image
 support) to describe what a featured image is.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13522#comment:5>