[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28566: Add our own "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message when possible

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 14 18:11:22 UTC 2016

#28566: Add our own "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message when
possible
 Reporter:  iseulde      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by danieliser):

 Another option here, maybe even an enhancement would be to use the new
 navigator.sendBeacon function in chrome to auto save. IE user can enable
 an auto save function in chrome that will auto save upon leaving the page.
 Similar to onBeforeUnload but non blocking.

 https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Navigator/sendBeacon

 Although it is currently a Chrome webkit only enhancement, this has
 already been proposed in Mozilla and MS Cortana. Thus making it a good
 option to consider now.

 Here is an example how it can be used when supported or fallback to AJAX
 non blocking request if not.

 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36291337/allowing-an-ajax-request-to-
 finish-after-the-page-is-closed

--