[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #33710: Displaying a comment whose comment_parent has been deleted results in PHP Notices

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 3 15:19:24 UTC 2015

#33710: Displaying a comment whose comment_parent has been deleted results in PHP
Notices
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  rachelbaker     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Comments        |    Version:
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 There are missing checks in the Comments (wp-admin/edit-comments.php) and
 Edit Comment  (wp-admin/comment.php?action=editcomment&c={comment_ID})
 screens for comments that have a `comment_parent`value.  If the comment
 parent was deleted , or for some reason doesn't exist, `get_comment(
 $comment->comment_parent )` won't return an object.   In both screens we
 do not check that we have a  parent object before calling
 `get_comment_link()` or `get_comment_author()`, both of which also assume
 a comment object exists, which result in '''PHP Notice:  Trying to get
 property of non-object''' messages.

 Assuming your PHP error reporting level includes Notices, you log or
 display the errors, and you enjoy replicating bugs; here are the steps to
 reproduce:
 1. Create a test comment
 2. Reply to the test comment
 3. Delete the test comment created in step 1
 4. View the Comments screen
 5. Note the PHP Notices (example https://cloudup.com/cpH6cjQry-a)
 6. Locate your parentless comment (the reply created in step 2) in the
 list table and click the "Edit" link
 7. View the Edit Comment screen
 8. Note the PHP Notices (example: https://cloudup.com/ckUOLcdVCY5)
 9. Throw laptop out window