[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #12104: 'moderate_comments' capability by itself should grant the user the permission to See/Edit all comments from the Comments menu. (was: edit-comments.php not available to roles with proper capabilities)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 20 10:53:06 UTC 2015

#12104: 'moderate_comments' capability by itself should grant the user the
permission to See/Edit all comments from the Comments menu.
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  sillybean                |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new
Changes (by mariusvetrici):

 * focuses:   => administration
 * type:  enhancement => defect (bug)

Comment:

 Hello,

 I came across a use case that seems related to the ticket:
 - I have a custom post type called Tasks
 - I have a user role called TaskAssistant that needs to only manage Tasks
 and comments made on Tasks

 Currently there's no possibility to give the TaskAssistant the possibility
 to:
 - Edit Comments (from Comments menu in WPAdmin)
 without being able to
 - Edit Posts (from Posts menu)

 This is because it is not enough to grant the TaskAsssistant with:
 - moderate_comments
 - edit_comment

 I need to grant him the edit_posts capability as well.

 But when I grant edit_posts he also receives access to the Posts
 (including the Posts menu in WPAdmin).

 The expected behavior:
 In my opinion the TaskAssistant role should be able to edit All Comments
 by only having 'moderate_comments' capability and without the need for
 edit_post.

 Or to put it the other way around,
 the 'moderate_comments' capability by itself should grant the user the
 permission to See/Edit all comments from the Comments menu.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12104#comment:30>