[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32125: Emoji script: multiple second execution time when using AngularJS to insert text

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 24 18:53:56 UTC 2015

#32125: Emoji script: multiple second execution time when using AngularJS to insert
text
 Reporter:  brad989       |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  4.2
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I'm building a theme using AngularJS. After updating to 4.2, I experienced
 a significant slowdown when viewing posts (handled by custom javascript,
 not php theming functions), due to the emoji script. The script execution
 time appears to scale with the length of the post - longer posts making
 the execution time several seconds, with single word posts only needing a
 few ms.

 Chrome's JS Profiler points at the parseNode function in wp-emoji-
 release.min.js (I unminified to inspect)
 That function was called over 2000 times for one of my articles. I think
 the way that angular manipulates the DOM may be triggering duplicate
 calls.