[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 22 11:00:48 UTC 2015

#32051: Creating new posts/terms with non-English characters is broken for tables
with cp1251 collation in 4.1.2
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  vloo          |       Owner:  pento
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by pento):

 * owner:   => pento
 * status:  reopened => accepted

Comment:

 The patch isn't a bandaid, it's fixing a legitimate bug in the code, which
 is supposed to be able to deal with this situation.

 While I agree that utf8 is the best possible solution (and the vast
 majority of WordPress sites use utf8), we won't be forcing people to use
 it by breaking backwards compatibility. There are many sites built years
 ago, before MySQL's Unicode support was good enough for their use. Forcing
 them to convert all of their content in order to upgrade isn't an option.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/32051#comment:7>