[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #29708: WordPress 4.0 decides whether the URL is http or httpS based on site environent

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 19 10:17:18 UTC 2014

#29708: WordPress 4.0 decides whether the URL is http or httpS based on site
environent
 Reporter:  cooperman     |       Owner:
Changes (by DannyMe):

 * severity:  normal => major

Comment:

 Dear cooperman,

 Thank you very much for filing this bug report. I would like to state that
 we are experiencing the same bug, in different hosting environments, based
 on using Cloudflare's Flexible SSL-solution, which makes it possible to
 have a https-connection to the end user, but a http-connection to your own
 hosting environment:

 Outside world/visitor --> https --> Cloudflare --> http --> Wordpress-
 installation.

 As Wordpress 4.0 identifies the connection as 'http', it tries to redirect
 to the https-url of the installation, while the visitor is already
 visiting through the https-address, which results in an endless and until
 now non-fixable loop.

 Wordpress 4.0 contains changes on how the software handles ssl-
 connections, although I was not able to reproduce exactly what changed.
 See also #27954, #28521, #28674. We urgently need a fix for this bug too
 for our installations, as buying SSL certificates for 20 websites is not
 an option and in our case not necessary.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/29708#comment:1>