[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22237: Add keyboard shortcuts for collapse/expand, panel-back, and close to the Customizer (was: Add a keyboard shortcut for collapse/expand in the customizer)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 5 06:38:56 UTC 2014

#22237: Add keyboard shortcuts for collapse/expand, panel-back, and close to the
Customizer
 Reporter:  designsimply             |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  new
  bug                                |  javascript
Changes (by celloexpressions):

 * keywords:  close => needs-patch good-first-bug
 * focuses:   => accessibility, javascript
 * version:   => 3.4
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => Future Release

Comment:

 In the past two years, we've shifted to using keyboard shortcuts much more
 prominently, often to aid with keyboard nav/accessibility. @helen
 mentioned using keyboard shortcuts for Panels and closing the Customizer
 several times during 4.0 development; we should look at those too.

 In fact, I'd suggest that we start by adding `esc` to exit a panel (if in
 a sub-panel -- there's a class added to a container that we can check),
 and also `esc` to close the Customizer, if not in a panel (we now have an
 AYS to prevent accidental closures when changes are pending).

 Once we've implemented that, let's look at whether there's a good option
 for expanding/collapsing the controls area. Not sure what the shortcut
 should be, but we should only add it if it's intuitive enough that we
 don't need to make it a configuration option. Based on @jorbin's note
 above, there may not be a good option here in terms of accessibility, but
 I'd be interested in any more updated thoughts from the accessibility
 team.

 Marking as good first bug since this is a fairly isolated request, and
 should be reasonably straightforward code-wise once the UX is nailed down
 (and a good place to jump in and start, with additional iterations
 expected). I'd put the js for it in `wp-admin/js/customize-controls.js`,
 in the less structured part of the file (after the control models).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22237#comment:5>