[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #30450: Focus V2: Separate out the DFW button from the rest of the TinyMCE editor buttons

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 22 19:52:00 UTC 2014

#30450: Focus V2: Separate out the DFW button from the rest of the TinyMCE editor
buttons
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  sharonaustin      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
  feedback                    |
------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Changes (by afercia):

 * keywords:   => has-patch dev-feedback
 * focuses:  ui, accessibility => ui, accessibility, javascript

Comment:

 Replying to [ticket:30450 sharonaustin]:
 > Make the DFW button much different, visually speaking, than the other
 buttons in the TinyMCE, because all those other buttons function INSIDE
 the editor--the DFW has a different function in allowing one to see the
 components of the interface OUTSIDE the editor.
 From a UI perspective, I agree with @sharonaustin: the Focus button
 shouldn't be inside the TinyMCE toolbar since all the buttons in the
 TinyMCE toolbar are related to actions that take place *inside* the editor
 while the Focus button toggles a general feature of the UI as a whole and
 has nothing to do with something that happens inside the editor. They
 shouldn't be grouped in the same set of controls.

 Theoretical considerations apart, perhaps a keyboard shortcut could
 mitigate this issue. The old DFW had its own shortcut, FocusV2 hasn't. I'd
 propose to give keyboard users a handy  keyboard shortcut as a "global" UI
 switch, so it should work either when inside the editor and when outside.
 I've tried and came up with something, not sure "Alt+Shift+W" is still ok
 to use and not sure if I've messed up something :) Thoughts?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/30450#comment:3>