[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #28407: You are unable to override the attachment name in wp_mail() when adding attachments

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 30 16:15:51 UTC 2014

#28407: You are unable to override the attachment name in wp_mail() when adding
attachments
 Reporter:  syntaxart    |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Mail         |    Version:  3.9.1
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
  Focuses:               |
 Hi,

 When you create an email and add an attachment your may have obtained the
 attachment filepath using the file upload control.  This means you will
 have a  .tmp file extension on your email attachment.  When the user
 receives the email, the attachment is not useful.  In order to get the
 attachment to work correctly you need to first add the tmp filepath and
 then override the filename.  PHPMailer allows you to do this with the
 AddAttachment function.  The wordpress wp_mail function does not allow for
 this to happen.

 The problem with wp_mail() in wp-includes/pluggable.php is at line 483

 {{{
 if ( !empty( $attachments ) ) {
                 foreach ( $attachments as $attachment ) {
                         try {
                                 $phpmailer->AddAttachment($attachment);
                         } catch ( phpmailerException $e ) {
                                 continue;
                         }
                 }
         }
 }}}

 I overcame this problem by copying the function and then replacing the
 above block of code with

 {{{
 if (!empty($attachments)) {
                 foreach ($attachments as $name => $attachment) {
                     try {
                         $phpmailer->AddAttachment($attachment, $name);
                     } catch (phpmailerException $e) {
                         continue;
                     }
                 }
             }
 }}}

 The wp_mail function is an important core function and in my opinion is
 best not to override.

 Is it possible to enhance the wp_mail function for this.  I have read
 forums on the internet which has pointed to the issue above.  It would be
 good to offer some of the features which phpmailer is offering.

 Thank you very much.

 Ryan