[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #26959: Incorporate preview of inserted galleries in the visual editor using a new version of the wpview tinymce plugin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 31 17:04:23 UTC 2014

#26959: Incorporate preview of inserted galleries in the visual editor using a new
version of the wpview tinymce plugin
 Reporter:  gcorne       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by gcorne):

 Replying to [comment:4 nacin]:

 Thanks.

 > As this is all very self-contained, we could probably drop this in now
 (except for the actual enqueueing of mce-view) and iterate.

 @azaozz and I were discussing something similar yesterday. I suggested
 that maybe we could add a temporary feature switch constant like
 {{{USE_TINYMCE_WPVIEWS}}} that we could use to control whether or not the
 feature is enabled by default. Individual installs could flip it off if it
 is causing problems. He felt that since we are alpha that adding a feature
 switch that defaulted to false might be too cautious. I could go either
 way, but it would be nice to get code in sooner rather than late so that
 single commits don't encapsulate too many decisions. It may be helpful to
 other devs if the svn history tells a story of all the adjustments made to
 deal with various browser quirks and edge cases.

 > [22567] brings back memories. The number of bugs this stuff causes, man.
 Not sure if this was reproducible way back when, but here's one now: If
 the gallery is the only thing in my post, I find it impossible to get a
 cursor to write, no matter how hard I try.

 @azaozz has been working on a solution to this problem (see
 here.

 My plan is to create a Google Spreadsheet that lists the various scenarios
 that we need to test. Ideally, we would come up with a solid way to test
 the scenarios across a range of browsers using something like
 WebDriver/Selenium. I also think we probably want to build in a fallback
 that just uses a placeholder or even just displays the raw data (usually a
 shortcode) and then use UA sniffing or some sort of feature detection to
 either whitelist or blacklist to avoid breakage.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/26959#comment:5>