[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories, limit height)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 26 23:28:56 UTC 2014

#24048: Increase the usability of Plugin Editor's files list (separate directories,
limit height)
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Daedalon     |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by bpetty):

 Replying to [comment:4 helen]:
 > Not totally sure who or what you're addressing. There's no patch here,
 and I don't think the debate about keeping the editors is anything beyond
 academic. They're staying. :)

 I wasn't claiming there was one, just clarifying that despite your
 comments, it didn't mean no-one should bother even submitting a patch
 (because that's what it sounded like).

 > If we make them too fancy/IDE-ish

 Certainly not advocating building a full IDE here either. We're just
 talking about making the file tree (that we already provide) actually work
 the way it was intended to. If you think providing a way to actually
 select files to edit is too much of an "IDE feature", then we have a case
 for removing it entirely. We're not in the habit of adding half-working
 features just because we sort of think it should be there, but we've
 intentionally made it difficult (and in some situations here, impossible)
 to use in order to discourage users from using it.

 I completely understand your concerns here, but we're not talking about
 optional new features like "jump to file", "find in files", syntax
 highlighting, line numbers, or anything like that. This is absolutely
 required functionality for selecting which file to edit. It doesn't get
 more basic than that.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/24048#comment:5>