[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18380: Merge the default colors css into wp-admin.css and overload the blue theme colors

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jan 26 00:15:50 UTC 2014

#18380: Merge the default colors css into wp-admin.css and overload the blue theme
colors
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by helen):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * focuses:   => ui, performance
 * resolution:  wontfix =>
 * milestone:   => 3.9

Comment:

 We're committed to this direction now. It was discussed in IRC, though I
 am not having luck finding the exact link (my own fault for not doing this
 earlier). Would be thankful to anybody who can dig it up - it was within
 the last couple of weeks.

 The redesign of 3.8 makes this a much better idea. The default colors.css
 is @import-ed into each of the alternate color schemes. When using
 unminified files, this means an extra HTTP request, and a slow one at
 that. When using minified files, cssmin/clean-css actually inlines the
 entire file into every single color scheme's colors.css. This makes
 avoiding a rebuild in point releases very difficult, and now that it is a
 true overload as opposed to a swap, makes much more sense to merge into
 the main wp-admin.css file.

 Other benefits include:

 * A lower barrier to entry for first-time admin CSS patches. It is less
 than fun to edit a border width and style in one file, and the color in
 another.
 * We will likely reduce file size due to being able to use more shorthand
 properties. At worst, the size will remain about the same, but there will
 be no more colors.css to add to that.

 There is an _admin.scss file that has to be maintained, and of course
 consideration for each of the color schemes. However, _admin.scss is
 already quite diverged from colors.css, so it would be a hand-maintained
 file from this point forward, anyway.

 Once this is complete, we will tackle #26669.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18380#comment:7>