[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25963: Appearance Themes: Backbone.Router should use pushState with ?query type urls

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 15 16:57:26 UTC 2013

#25963: Appearance Themes: Backbone.Router should use pushState with ?query type
urls
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  matveb       |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by adamsilverstein):

 Enabling pushState: true removes the hash marks from URLS so we get pretty
 URLS like {{{themes.php/theme/twentyeleven}}}. I think the only reason we
 were shooting for routes via query parameter like
 {{{themes.php?theme=twentyeleven}}} is to match the layout of the
 revisions URLS.

 According to the Backbone forums ( see
 [https://github.com/jashkenas/backbone/issues/2075 here],
 [https://github.com/jashkenas/backbone/issues/891 here] and
 [https://github.com/jashkenas/backbone/issues/2801 here] ) query args are
 now completely ignored by Backbone.Router, and the authors are of the
 opinion that client side code shouldn't use query parameters at all.

 I tried matching the setup we used in revisions to map the route, but when
 using '?' my route is never fired. There are workarounds, and
 [https://github.com/jhudson8/backbone-query-parameters this plugin] adds
 query args. I think this deserves further discussion: do we really need
 query arg route mapping? I think revisions kept the ?revision=ID mapping
 originally to match the previous system's URLS - I don't think we have
 that need here and I'm inclined to use regular 'path mapping'.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25963#comment:1>