[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #25786: Using custom_fields with wp.newPost does not add meta on clean WordPress installs.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Dec 10 10:15:54 UTC 2013

#25786: Using custom_fields with wp.newPost does not add meta on clean WordPress
installs.
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  timgws        |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by markoheijnen):

 * status:  reopened => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid
 * severity:  major => minor

Comment:

 Documentation isn't complete in that area. Being angry on that is
 misplaces because it's build by volunteers. Also you can change that page
 yourself. I think we decided not to through an error because it's an edge
 case that was better to silently ignore it then not save the post at all.

 XML-RPC uses the same hooks as the admin interface.

 If you use fields starting with an underscore then you mark them as
 private. Reason for this can be that it's only for numbers or pre defined
 values. You don't want that to be changed through the XML-RPC. That would
 mean hacking the system. If you would like to allow that certain field to
 be changed with XML-RPC then you would use register_meta().

 Closing the ticket again since I don't see a reason to change the code in
 WordPress. In this case it means not using keys starting with underscores
 or using register_meta().

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25786#comment:4>