[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22230: WP adds <br /> before <select even where there is no line break in source code

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 19 21:49:26 UTC 2012

#22230: WP adds <br /> before <select even where there is no line break in source
code
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  chirael          |       Type:  defect (bug)
 My source code in the WP HTML editor:

 {{{
 <label for="sellby">How soon do you need to sell?</label><select
 id="sellby" name="sellby" required="1">
 }}}

 Note how there is *no line break* between </label> and <select

 HTML generated by WP, however:

 {{{
 <select id="sellby" name="sellby" required="1">
 }}}

 Um, how (and why?) did that extra <br /> get in there?

 This also happened when I was using the Visual editor; switched to the
 HTML editor to see if it was an error on my part but nope - there is no
 line break whatsoever in my HTML source code, so I have no idea why WP
 insists on adding one.

 It's particularly vexing because I would like my text label to be next to
 (on the same line as) my select boxes, but WP is forcing it to be on the
 next line, which is making my form look awful.

 AFAIK it's only happening with select boxes, but it's pretty consistent
 for me.

 Since it's happening with the HTML editor as well as the Visual editor I
 left the Component as General so better minds than mine can categorize it
 appropriately.