[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22128: Adding upload mimetype in Multisite does not work if mimetype is not already defined

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 29 17:00:10 UTC 2012

#22128: Adding upload mimetype in Multisite does not work if mimetype is not
already defined
 Reporter:  BjornW        |       Owner:

Comment (by helenyhou):

 I guess I mean that perhaps there doesn't need to be UI in core, and would
 rather not think about what a plugin would do right at the moment. I just
 want to figure out what the base issue is here, and what the right
 workflow would be.

 This is my understanding:

 * There is a filterable set of mimetypes that are allowed in a WP install
 (whitelist).
 * In a multisite installation, there is a network setting for mimetypes
 allowed (or rather, extensions), that in unindicated reality can only be a
 subset of the aforementioned set.

 Since it's network-wide, not site-specific, and thus only manageable by a
 superadmin and quite technical, I'm not sure I see why there needs to be
 an option for this at all, much less any UI to go with it. Seems to me
 that the solution for changing what mimetypes are allowed on a network
 install is to use the `upload_mimes` filter mentioned in [comment:4
 comment:4]. Is there something I'm missing about how what the end result
 is of the whitelist-of-a-whitelist technique currently employed vs.
 straight up filtering the allowed mimetypes?

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22128#comment:19>