[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #22382: In iOS 6.01 (Safari) the top menu items have to be "touched" twice to show the submenu

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 9 17:18:57 UTC 2012

#22382: In iOS 6.01 (Safari) the top menu items have to be "touched" twice to show
the submenu
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz          |       Owner:  azaozz
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:2 georgestephanis]:
 > What I'd like to do, if we can, is test for the sub-menu being :visible
 on a click.  If it has a sub menu, and the sub menu isn't visible, then we
 do our thing...

 This sounds interesting to try to implement.

 > Basic logic being ...
 >
 > Oh, you've clicked on a menu item.  How nice.  Do I have a child menu?
 Why yes, I do!  { Is that child menu visible } ? { Do nothing! } : { Show
 the child menu; preventDefault }

 Not exactly, the current behaviour for PCs is
  "{ Is that child menu visible } ? { Don't care. There was a click so
 follow the link }"
 which for touch screen devices should be
  "{ Is that child menu visible } ? { No? Show it. Yes? Follow the link }"

 > So if they're hovering over the item before they click it, it won't do
 anything.  But if it detects a click without a hover (touch ui) it shows
 the menu and bails.

 Yeah, that may work. Thing is how exactly the touch devices emulate hover.
 Seems that currently in iOS the first touch on a top menu item is
 interpreted as "set hover state and bail" and the second touch actually
 does a 'click'.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22382#comment:4>