[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by media.php

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Tue Jul 24 02:30:47 UTC 2012

#18984: Accessibility: Title attribute should not be added to image markup by
media.php
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  esmi                     |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by isaackeyet):

 Agreed that title is not really the preferred field to have users fill out
 or automate if we get to pick which field is pre-populated. Mostly because
 many images will then have the title "IMG_0021" or similar, which is not
 useful for anybody.

 WP should use another way of indexing the files or rely on other meta
 data.

 Personally I think the resolution should just be to

 1. Implement function to not output title fields in the actual rendered
 mark up (but keep it internally for indexing).
 2. Change Title field in Media Options to be a non-editable looking greyed
 out string (not textfield), with an Edit.
 3. Edit enables the text field, the "required field" asterisk, hides the
 original string, shows help about the field (editing will enable the Title
 HTML attribute).
 4. If edited, title is now output in the rendered post.

 I'm a visual guy so I'll be posting a quick and dirty mockup of what this
 could look like shortly.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18984#comment:19>