[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #14539: Cache-Control / Expires headers not applied to files in Multisite files location

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 16 03:05:03 UTC 2012

#14539: Cache-Control / Expires headers not applied to files in Multisite files
location
 Reporter:  spherical     |       Owner:

Comment (by dd32):

 > I'm explicitly setting a access plus 1 year ExpiresByType header for
 image/* (also does the same with image/jpeg) yet a file being served from
 /files has an Expires header well beyond that (and in fact, breaks RFC
 specs because of it):

 This is because the files in /files are routed through ms-files.php,
 AFAIK, Nginx doesn't apply ExpiresByType to dynamic files and/or when a
 Expires-like header is already set.

 > Receiving the same issues using Nginx, although they are returning as
 304 instead of 200 in my case. It will only take the global expires
 setting and not adhere to the one I've set for static objects, png/jpg/js
 etc.

 This backs up my original thought, that per-type won't apply, but Global
 expires do (As they apply regardless of type). ms-files.php does return
 304's however if the client supports ETags:
 http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/ms-files.php#L73
 - ms-files.php also sets the Expires Header to +3.16 years (Ah how i wish
 that was 3.14..) which just so happens to be 100 million seconds.

 IMHO, There isn't many things that can be done here, One could try
 preventing ms-files.php from outputting a Expires header, this might solve
 it, Alternatively, looking into bypassing ms-files.php (for more
 performance) might be a better idea: #19235

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/14539#comment:8>