[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21225: Dashboard Incoming Links - Google blogsearch fails when get_option( 'home') is not a TLD

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Jul 12 02:47:09 UTC 2012

#21225: Dashboard Incoming Links - Google blogsearch fails when get_option( 'home')
is not a TLD
 Reporter:  c3mdigital    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Feeds         |    Version:  2.5
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:  dev-feedback
 When WordPress gets installed and the first time a user visits the
 dashboard the dashboard_widget_options get set for
 dashboard_incoming_links.  The Google blogsearch link gets set based on
 your settings for wp_home.  If your developing on a local machine most
 likely wp_home is not a true TLD.

 Google blogsearch incorrectly returns incoming links when the site: url is
 not a true TLD.  For example I'll use an install where wp_home is set to
 http://wp.patch.  The link that gets formed is:

 http://blogsearch.google.com/blogsearch_feeds?scoring=d&ie=utf-8&num=10&output=rss&partner=wordpress&q=link:http://wp.patch/

 If you visit that link you will notice that results are getting returned
 just using the "patch" keyword.

 If the sited gets moved to live production you will continue to get the
 incorrect incoming links unless the dashboard_widget_options get manually
 changed or deleted.

 Also to note is that the Google blogsearch API has been deprecated:
 https://developers.google.com/blog-search/

 My suggestion is to remove the widget or hide it by default in screen
 options like we did for some of the stuff in post.php.

 Another option is to do a check and return WP_Error if wp_home is not a
 TLD before setting the dashboard widget options.