[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21132: List tables' "select all" should let you really select all, regardless of screen options

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Mon Jul 2 04:38:39 UTC 2012

#21132: List tables' "select all" should let you really select all, regardless of
screen options
 Reporter:  evansolomon  |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  needs-patch
 The select all checkbox in list tables selects all the items in your
 current view.  Usually what I really want is to select all the items on
 all the pages.

 As a hack, I'll often leave the screen options setting for items per page
 on something really high, like 1,000.  Unfortunately this means the tables
 are often really slow for no benefit (most of the time I don't need them
 all).  A better solution would be a way to intelligently select all items
 without needing to show them on the page.

 The best example of this that I know of is Gmail, which adds a line above
 the list of emails when you click the select all box that looks something
 like this: "All 50 conversations on this page are selected. Select all 653
 conversations in Spam".  The second sentence is a link that, as expected,
 selects all of your emails that fit the current view, regardless of
 paging.  Screenshot attached.