[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #21624: Multiplle Trackbacks field in edit screen removes spaces btw. URL's on save/update in 3.4 & 3.4.1

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sat Aug 18 00:32:50 UTC 2012

#21624: Multiplle Trackbacks field in edit screen removes spaces btw. URL's on
save/update in 3.4 & 3.4.1
 Reporter:  faddah        |       Owner:
Description changed by SergeyBiryukov:

Old description:

> [...]
> WP Support Forum - Sending Multiple Trackbacks Problem].
>
> As [http://wordpress.org/support/profile/ipstenu Ipstenu]
> [http://halfelf.org (Mika Epstein)] in the support forums suggested, this
> may (though not certain about it) be related to previous
> [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17560 Trac ticket #17560 (Severe
> bug in XMLRPC and Windows Live Writer integration related to to_ping)],
> allegedly fixed in last January in
> [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/19675 Changeset 19675]. It
> would be helpful to review the support forum link above first and these
> Trac ticket & Changeset before proceeding on.
>
> Issue — for Trackbacks, to send links back to sites mentioned in-line
> that are ''not'' also Wordpress sites, you fill in the URLs in the
> Trackbacks field, separating each URL with a space between, as it says to
> of the Post or Page Edit screen in WP-Core. However, since 3.4 and still
> in 3.4.1, when you '''Save Draft,''' '''Publish''' or '''Update,''' all
> the spaces are removed and it becomes one long garbage line of URL's all
> grouped together. WP then attempts to send out to that, which is garbage,
> so none of the non-WP sites that are linked-to are ever contacted.
>
> To Reproduce —
>
> In a site running WP 3.4 or 3.4.1 —
>
> 1.  Create a new post in WP.
>
> 2. In the post, have links in-line with your verbiage to non-WP sites,
> say three of them.
>
> 3.  In the trackback field in the edit post WP screen, put your three or
> so non-WP site links, separated by spaces, as it says to right on the
> screen for that trackback field.
>
> 4.  Click on "save draft" or "publish."

> Expected result —
> In WP 3.3.x and earlier versions, it handled the non-WP trackbacks fine
> and notified those sites of the links in the post or page to it.
>
> Issue —
> In WP 3.4 & 3.4.1 still, the spaces between the links in the trackback
> field are removed on '''Save Draft,''' '''Publish''' or '''Update,''' and
> the multiple link line becomes one long garbage line and WP attempts to
> notify that, which, of course does not work.
>
> Again, this is for ''Trackbacks'', to ''non-''WP sites, that are input
> into the Trackbacks field; not ''Pingbacks'', which are for WP Sites and
> take the URLs that are in-line in the post and that works just fine.
>
> As mentioned, [http://wordpress.org/support/profile/ipstenu Ipstenu]
> [http://halfelf.org (Mika Epstein)] seems to think this is related to
> [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/17560 Trac ticket #17560 (Severe
> bug in XMLRPC and Windows Live Writer integration related to to_ping)],
> and its related [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/19675 Changeset
> 19675]. I am not quite sure if this is the case or not, but this might at
> least give a lead on tracking down this problem and why it started
> happening in WP 3.4 and continues to happen in 3.4.1.
>
> To contact me, faddah, for follow up on this —

New description:

 This is reproducable in multiple browsers & OS platforms.

 This has happened both in 3.4 & 3.4.1. Was not seen in 3.3x or earlier.

 To see original discussion on this issue in WP support forums, see:
 [http://wordpress.org/support/topic/sending-multiple-trackbacks-problem WP
 Support Forum - Sending Multiple Trackbacks Problem].

 As [http://wordpress.org/support/profile/ipstenu Ipstenu]
 [http://halfelf.org (Mika Epstein)] in the support forums suggested, this
 may (though not certain about it) be related to previous Trac ticket
 #17560 (Severe bug in XMLRPC and Windows Live Writer integration related
 to to_ping), allegedly fixed in last January in Changeset [19675]. It
[...]

 [http://halfelf.org (Mika Epstein)] seems to think this is related to Trac
 ticket #17560 (Severe bug in XMLRPC and Windows Live Writer integration
 related to to_ping), and its related Changeset [19675]. I am not quite

Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21624#comment:1>