[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #19233: When using CSS Background Gradients in the Admin UI, begin to use IE Filters to mimic in IE (7, 8, 9)

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Sun Aug 12 02:10:36 UTC 2012

#19233: When using CSS Background Gradients in the Admin UI, begin to use IE
Filters to mimic in IE (7, 8, 9)
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  georgestephanis  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 > IE7, IE8, IE9 all have way more usage than Opera.

 I don't think the original intention comes down to browser usage, rather,
 it comes down to browser support. [[BR]]
 If a browser supports the CSS3 "standard" in use, even if through prefixed
 rules, then the support was added, knowing that those browsers which don't
 support it natively will fallback to a more ugly, but still not-broken
 interface.

 The Microsoft filter CSS stuff isn't following any kind of standard, and
 newer versions are upgrading to support standards, We could simply use
 Images to get rounded corners and gradients, but it was chosen to stick to
 standards, giving web browser manufacturers a reason to upgrade their
 stuff.

 We already have a [http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-
 admin/css/ie.dev.css ie.css] file in wp-admin which we ''could'' leverage
 for adding hacks such as filters if we wanted to keep it out of the main
 stylesheets.

 also worth noting, that I believe IE7, 8, and 9 all require different
 values for filter: as well as filter being prefixed in at least one of
 those browsers. I recently pushed someone to use
 [http://css3pie.com/documentation/supported-css3-features/ CSS3Pie] for IE
 CSS3 stuff after attempting to get rounded corners and background
 gradients working consistently in IE.. it was a pain in this case, but
 that may have been specific to the site as well.

--
Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19233#comment:10>