[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #20490: Move submit_button to wp-includes for frontend inclusion & use with comment-template.php

WordPress Trac wp-trac at lists.automattic.com
Thu Apr 19 19:01:28 UTC 2012

#20490: Move submit_button to wp-includes for frontend inclusion & use with
comment-template.php
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  wpsmith      |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by wpsmith):

 Granted that it is not as intuitive as the markup; however, it does mean
 that it's not readable. submit_button() is what WP has installed to use on
 the admin side and used in the admin. Those who use it or want to use it
 will know (or know how to look it up easily/quickly).

 Personally, I would like that false to become more than just a boolean
 where I can enter my own wrap pattern, e.g. '<p class="my-submit">%s</p>'.
 And it probably belongs as the last argument IMHO, but nonetheless, it is
 what it is.

 My argument is not really for shortness as it is for consistency and the
 ability to filter. While I think about it, it may be better not to filter
 in the comment-template (if submit_button is used on the frontend) but to
 filter get_submit_button(). So something like this:

 {{{
 return apply_filters( 'get_submit_button', $button, $text, $type, $name,
 $wrap, $other_attributes );
 }}}

 However, if we don't move in favor of using submit_button() on the
 frontend, I would like to filter the comments HTML. Maybe something like
 (though I am not convinced at its efficiency):

 {{{
 <input name="submit" type="submit" id="<?php echo esc_attr(
 $args['id_submit'] ); ?>" value="<?php echo esc_attr(
 $args['label_submit'] ); ?>"<?php echo apply_filters(
 'comment_form_submit', '', $args ); ?> />

Ticket URL: <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20490#comment:4>